Do you ever randomly get a very rare opportunity to spend your day without family and spend it however you want instead? It seems like I always end up asking friends or asking on social media for ideas on what I should do with my free time. It’s a struggle. It is so rare that I get an entire day to myself that when one comes around, I literally have no idea what to do, no self-care day plan ever. I actually tend to waste some of the day just figuring out WHAT I should do! I later look back and regret the amount of time I basically spent panicking about trying to find ideas on what to do.
Whenever I am sitting around wishing for a day to myself, I seem to be able to come up with a hundred ideas. Yet, when the day actually arrives, for whatever reason, it feels like every idea I had previously isn’t the right fit. For example, in the summer, I had been wishing for some time without kids so I could go kayaking. When I finally did have some time, the forecast was thunderstorms for the entire day. The next time I had some time without kids it was already too cold outside to go kayaking! Bummer! That was the one big activity I was hoping to go do this year…
So now I need some new ideas or I’m going to be scrambling when an opportunity arises. I’ve taken the time to compile this list to give you (AND ME!) ideas for a self-care day plan. My hope would be that you will stumble on this blog post when you are rushing to think of a way to spend your free day and you will end up finding the perfect idea here! Or… maybe you will end up taking bits and pieces from my plans and formulating your very own perfect self-care day! At the very least (by that I mean if everyone ends up hating this post haha), I can use this blog post to refer back to when I get a free day unexpectedly. I will be prepared next time!
Self Care Day Plan One: Beauty/Spa Day
Low Budget options:
- Buy a gel polish at home kit (You could share this with friends even)
- Face mask
- Eye masks
- New lotion
- Body scrub and exfoliate.
- Self-tanner (and follow my self-tanning guide found here: LINK)
- Tint your eyebrows at home with an eyebrow tint kit.
No Budget options:
- Massage at a spa
- Facial at a spa
- Manicure & Pedicure at a salon
For either above option, end the day with:
With OR without friends!
Self Care Day Plan Two: Outdoor/Adventure Day
Warm weather version:
- Take a hike through the woods at a local park or nature center or beach.
- Go kayaking.
- Pack a picnic lunch.
I feel like these would be safer or more fun with a friend but that’s up to you! You may feel differently than me. Even bringing a dog along could be a good option though.
Cold weather version:
- Find a local indoor climbing place.
- Try a gun range.
- Find a facility that has indoor paintball.
- Play golf at an indoor facility like Top Golf (Those are all over the U.S.)
Self Care Day Plan Three: Low Key Stay Inside Day
- Sleep in
- Order your favorite food to be delivered. (I like to order Thai food or Sushi as a special lunch or dinner!)
- Play your favorite music.
- Take a hot shower or bath. (If you take a bath, definitely try to add in a bath bomb!)
- Do a good face mask (or two! One for exfoliating and one for moisturizing for example)
- Exfoliate your whole body.
- Apply a good moisturizer all over your body.
- Take a nap.
- Get your favorite snack.
- Look up a good movie. What is your go-to movie to curl up on the couch and watch? I need suggestions. SEE THE POLL BELOW. Please suggest new ones also! 🙂
- Drink a new wine (or other adult drink).
- Possibly call a friend you haven’t had time to talk to in a while OR invite that friend over even so they can join you for just the evening portion of your “self-care” day. You guys could catch up and you could vent about any current life issues.
LAST but not least (and I actually think this is the MOST important step), go to bed EARLY! An adequate amount of sleep will make you feel so refreshed the next day.
Self-care involves a lot more than just treating yourself to a spa day. But taking care of yourself in whatever way makes YOU feel good is definitely part of it. Self-care does go much deeper though encompassing your mental health as well as your physical health.
When I want to do a day of self-care, I always end up doing the same things. I end up at Target or I get my nails done and I eat some lunch. Frankly, I’m so bored of it. I’m going to try one of these plans the next time I have a WHOLE day free. The adventure sample plan is what I am leaning more towards. I’ve been feeling stuck doing the same old, same old so maybe that would help snap me out of it. It is currently winter so I may try going rock climbing indoors. That has always sounded exciting but I’ve never pushed myself to actually go!
If you try any of my suggestions above, please let me know! If you have any tips to share, I would love to hear them. I’m sure I could benefit from any advice you may have, not just my readers!